Sunday, January 26, 2014
Sundays are for savouring
This week, I have been grateful for...
1. The cool change! Friday was simply blissful: the breeze was cool and the sound of drizzle on the open windows was heavenly.
2. I also happened to have the house to myself on Friday, as my daughter spent the day with my Mother-in-Law. It felt like such a luxury just to potter, even to squander some time. I took the opportunity to paint my nails and watch Before Sunrise, as my sister bought me the trilogy on DVD for Christmas. It has been years since I've seen this film and it brought back so many memories of my own backpacking adventures in my 20s. Sigh.
3. Finally addressing my little 'un's cough, which has lingered since Christmas. It wasn't very frequent and certainly didn't affect her sleeping patterns, appetite or energy levels. But when I heard a crackling sound in her breath (a sound very familiar from my asthmatic lungs), I knew it was time to investigate. The doctor's prognosis of pneumonia completely knocked the wind out of me but my littlie has been very brave through her first experience of antibiotics and they seem to be helping.
4. Generation War. This three part mini-series has been airing on SBS and the final episode is on tonight. It's beautifully made and thoroughly thought-provoking, exploring the often-overlooked experience of everyday Germans of the Second World War. I do find myself agreeing with this New York Times Review on many points but also feel the series is a welcome reminder of the cost of war for everyday citizens, regardless of the side they are on.
5. My new ancient Greek sandals! I jumped on the bandwagon a bit here (though thankfully I found another site that sells them for considerably less than 150 Euros, including postage!). But I have to say, I feel deliciously mercurial in them... so very fitting for a Gemini, no?
6. Frozen grapes. I can't remember the last time I had these, and I'm not sure if I ever tried them as a kid. But over the past couple of weeks, they have been the greatest thing ever. The juiciness! The texture! The icy crunch! Perfection.
7. This Simpsons tribute to Hayao Miyazaki. Simply gorgeous. And guaranteed to put a smile on your face, if you're as big a fan of both as I am.
8. Witnessing the courage and resilience of my friends Brandee and Dave, as they navigate their way through the most recent setback to Dave's recovery. To say it has been a bumpy ride would be an understatement and I can only imagine how exhausted and discouraged they must feel. These are good people and they deserve a reprieve if anyone does. I hope the rest of this year is thoroughly boring for the both of them!
9. Preparing for my little 'un's arrival. Stocking up on onesies and leggings and jumpsuits and swaddles. Making To Do lists. Recalling the first few weeks of my daughter's life. Feeling calm and grounded but very excited to meet my little man too. On the home stretch now...
10. My sister's courage and grace as she plodded through an anxious week, a week past her baby's due date. Her labour is being induced as I write. If you have any prayers to spare this week, please send them her way for a safe and gentle delivery.
What were you grateful for this week?