Saturday, April 25, 2015
Things I'm Diggin'
My friend Cathy used to have this wonderful blog series called Things I'm Diggin' where she'd share the things that had been rocking her world. I hope she won't mind me borrowing her idea today: it feels like the perfect way to sum up all the things that are contributing to this curious little phase of my evolution.
1. This quote from Yoko Ono (via The School of Life) feels like a good place to start:
Spring passes and one remembers one’s innocence,
Summer passes and one remembers one’s exuberance,
Autumn passes and one remembers one’s reverence,
Winter passes and one remembers one’s perseverance.
2. This article from Kate Swoboda nailed it: the way I feel at the end of a busy day is completely contingent on how I have been talking to myself as I navigate my way through it. Bingo.
3. The Inner Mean Girls book has given me a whole new taxonomy for working with the fears that have been holding me back. It's like a whole lot of stuff I have been aware of has suddenly coalesced and I can see it more clearly than ever before. Highly recommended.
4. What's not to love about a room spray called Asleep in Clouds? I picked one up at a local pop-up shop showcasing local artisans and it's magic.
5. I love everything that Violet Gray Design make and wish that I owned everything in their collection! Recently I treated myself to a Chakra Kit and love the process of selecting a charm at random then sending loving attention to that part of me that needs tending as I move through the day.
6. This article about the truth of mid-life crises in The Atlantic made my shoulders come down about a metre. It's not just me. And it may be biological. And this too shall pass.
7. Spending an evening in the company of The Song Company was heavenly. I didn't want it to end. And it also got me thinking: how mindblowing would it be to stand in a room with other artisans and make beautiful music with our bodies alone?
8. I know I've mentioned this one before but Yumi Sakugawa's Your Illustrated Guide to Becoming One with the Universe is still rocking my world. It is, quite simply, EVERYTHING.
9. I'm also head over heels in love with Marie Kondo's The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I mean. I couldn't sleep after reading it, it had every cell in my body zinging. I am totally going to konmari my belongings. And start thanking them for all the hard work they do for me. This is really is life-changing stuff. And a delightful read into the bargain.
10. I've also mentioned this one before but I have to say that The Alchemist's Oracle is the deck I consult every single day. It's always spot on. Delicious.
10 + 1 When I purchased my Motivation mandala ring all those moons ago, I signed up for The Fifth Element Life newsletter. The most recent Moon Energy reading started with the heading New Pathways and included the following words:
The portal for this pathway has begun to slowly open a space for you now, should you choose to take it. It's not one of those obvious choices, it's still a super daunting option, actually. To know our spirit calls you to do something so much bigger and bolder than the comfort zone you are currently living in. It's definitely something to do with our perceived fears - that this is the ultimate test to take us into our greatness.
I'm feeling it. Are you?
Finally, I brought the cup pictured above home from a tea date at The Travelling Samovar. As my BFF and I shared our progress along our souls' journeys, we savoured tea that had been poured with reverence. I fell in love with my terracotta cup -- particularly its imperfection -- and was invited to take it home with me as a gift. Today I am going to buy a tiny succulent to plant in it.
And that, somehow, sums it all up.